Tuesday, June 5, 2012

LOCAL SPOTLIGHT: THE FABULOUS DOMINOE FARRIS-GILBERT


L.A. SPOTLIGHT: Dominoe Alessandra Farris – Gilbert

I met the fabulous Dominoe a few years back when she when I lived next door to her. At the time - and before it burned down - My house was across the street from the Short Stop in Echo Park where I lived  with some British boys. We heard music and partying and people having an amazing time and decided to crash the party. We jumped the fence and into her yard. 
Sweet Dominoe warmly welcomed us to her party and many more after. YAY! Aside from a fantastic party host, Domino is a super artistic person and a phenomenally talented photographer. You can find her at art events, magic parties and numerous interesting events, always with her camera in tow. She's always documenting the Los Angeles scene by way of her camera lens and is constantly surrounded by eccentric and charismatic individuals. Takes one to know one right? 

At any given point she’s working on various projects, her most recent one is a Make-Out book and YES you can be in it! Maybe…
Find out how at the end of the article.  

Belive me you'll want to, because in few years when she's the next Annie leibovitz, you'll kick your self if you didn't. 


Pseudo names: Minnie, Minnow, Dominoe the Dominator.

Best of LA:
My favorite thing about LA, to sound uber cheesy, would be the people that I have the honor of calling my friends. They inspire me daily and fill my life with love and adventure.

What projects are you working on?
Photographing couples for Make-Out Book, a project I am making with my friend Marc Smollin. We are capturing that moment just after the kissing with individual portraits of both couples and people we have paired together. It has been quite a revelation thus far and still looking for more volunteers.   

Claim to fame: I'll let you know when I achieve that.

How did you get into photography?
I bought my first camera in lower school and have been shooting ever since. I'm quite addicted to it, but in the best way possible. I also make gorgeous handmade head pieces under my company, Deadbird.

LA local?
I am from Sherman Oaks - a true valley girl.

First thing you think about in the morning:
Don't Panic.

First concert:
KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas 1998 - for my birthday- with Cake and Garbage, to name a few.

Biggest fear:
The root of all fear would be death - so I’ll go with that one. 

How do you know when you've made it?
When My Nana finally stops lecturing me about my life?

What songs give you goose bumps and chills up the back of the neck?
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and the entire Silk and Soul Album by Nina Simone.

Favorite way to relax:
Someone please give me a massage!

Philosophy on life:
Like sands through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

What’s your take on fashion?
I say with fashion, follow your heart. As long as you stay away from khaki pants, you can't go wrong? I think that we are in a time of great music that is accessible on a local level.

Pet peeves: 
Snoring, Khaki pants.

If you’d like to be part of Dominoe and Marc’s Make-Out Book contact Dominoe via facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/dominoe.farrisgilbert 

If you have any other prospects for the spotlight please email me! Thank you much. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment